In my 40+ years of living in the Myrtle Beach area, I have experienced the many pros and cons that exist.
Overall, owning Myrtle Beach real estate and either living here full-time or as a second home has many advantages…but, like anywhere else, there are disadvantages.
- Traffic: if you are coming from a big city, you may think our traffic is nothing. But, you will notice a huge increase in traffic during the summer months, especially near the tourism areas. Once you become a local, you will learn how to navigate around this.
- Waiting Lines at Restaurants: If you're hungry, you may need to get to your favorite restaurants early, get your name on the list, or get a reservation when they allow. The growth in the area is outpacing the new restaurants, making them busier and busier. Though this can be a con, it’s easy to simply call ahead most of the time.
- Flights: There are plenty of flights to anywhere in the world, yet there are not as many direct flights. This means you will have to fly through a connecting airport hub before you get to your final destination. Typically, flights will stop in Charlotte or Atlanta with a brief layover.
As you can see, most of the cons can be managed. I have lived in Myrtle Beach for almost my entire life. Like many, I had options to relocate but never chose to do so. There are enough benefits to Myrtle Beach that I choose to stay here.
- Beach: The Grand Strand has one of the nicest beaches on the east coast. You can walk for hours on the uninterrupted coastline. The sand is soft, the sun is shiny and perfect for sun lovers, watching the sunrise, or those wanting to take a dip.
- Affordability: Real estate prices in Myrtle Beach are much more affordable than in most cities. Property taxes are typically lower as well. In many cases, someone can sell their house up north and come down to Myrtle Beach and pay half the price and get double the size home and lot.
- Never a Dull Moment: You cannot get bored in Myrtle Beach or the surrounding areas. You can enjoy the beach, boating in the waterway and rivers, golf, go-carts, paintball, arts and crafts, music, parks, live shows, amusements…you name it, you can do it. Of course, you may just want to hang out at home but anytime you want to do something, you have plenty of options.
- Retirement: Many people have decided to make the area their home for retirement. There are plenty of facilities that cater to retirees. Because of its popularity, there are communities and activities everywhere for the retiree who wants to stay active.
When choosing a place to relocate, you always have to take the pros and cons into consideration. Overall, I think owning property in Myrtle Beach and making it your home has many advantages.
If you would like to learn more about the Myrtle Beach area, please reach out. Check out our "Homeowner Support Articles", too.
And if you're still undecided, make sure you check out the properties for sale in Myrtle Beach. Who knows, you may find that perfect home at the price you want.
Homes for Sale by Del Webb Myrtle Beach (and North Myrtle Beach soon!)
Let us know if we can help you relocate…
Written by Greg Harrelson
Century 21 The Harrelson Group
Truly a rare find in Cipriana Park, Immaculate condition and stunning water views!! Loaded with every detail and upgrade you can imagine, this beautiful former model hom...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Jason Green Team (email@example.com) from Listing Office: GRANDE DUNES PROPERTIES.
Looking for your dream home? Look no further! This impeccable single-level residence offers everything you've been searching for and more. 3 spacious and comfortable bedr...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Jennifer Ford () from Listing Office: Century 21 The Harrelson Group.
JUST LISTED OPEN HOUSES: FRI (5-7pm), SAT (11am-2pm), SUN (1-3pm)! Discover a charming residence which offers a spacious living area, a well-designed kitchen, and a sere...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Nikki Lane () from Listing Office: Realty ONE Group Dockside.
Welcome home to this 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home located in the highly sought-after community, The Farm in Carolina Forest. This home features all updated flooring in ev...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: The Mills Group () from Listing Office: Century 21 Barefoot Realty.
Don't let this one slip away The only available direct waterway lot in Bal Harbor, Spectacular views of the ICW and beautiful sunsets. Bal Harbor offers the best of both ...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Joshua Carter () from Listing Office: RE/MAX Executive.
Provided courtesy of The Coastal Carolinas Association of REALTORS®. Information Deemed Reliable but Not Guaranteed. Copyright 2023 of the Coastal Carolinas Association of REALTORS® MLS. All rights reserved. Information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use, that it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.