In my 40+ years of living in the Myrtle Beach area, I have experienced the many pros and cons that exist.
Overall, owning Myrtle Beach real estate and either living here full-time or as a second home has many advantages…but, like anywhere else, there are disadvantages.
- Traffic: if you are coming from a big city, you may think our traffic is nothing. But, you will notice a huge increase in traffic during the summer months, especially near the tourism areas. Once you become a local, you will learn how to navigate around this.
- Waiting Lines at Restaurants: If you're hungry, you may need to get to your favorite restaurants early, get your name on the list, or get a reservation when they allow. The growth in the area is outpacing the new restaurants, making them busier and busier. Though this can be a con, it’s easy to simply call ahead most of the time.
- Flights: There are plenty of flights to anywhere in the world, yet there are not as many direct flights. This means you will have to fly through a connecting airport hub before you get to your final destination. Typically, flights will stop in Charlotte or Atlanta with a brief layover.
As you can see, most of the cons can be managed. I have lived in Myrtle Beach for almost my entire life. Like many, I had options to relocate but never chose to do so. There are enough benefits to Myrtle Beach that I choose to stay here.
- Beach: The Grand Strand has one of the nicest beaches on the east coast. You can walk for hours on the uninterrupted coastline. The sand is soft, the sun is shiny and perfect for sun lovers, watching the sunrise, or those wanting to take a dip.
- Affordability: Real estate prices in Myrtle Beach are much more affordable than in most cities. Property taxes are typically lower as well. In many cases, someone can sell their house up north and come down to Myrtle Beach and pay half the price and get double the size home and lot.
- Never a Dull Moment: You cannot get bored in Myrtle Beach or the surrounding areas. You can enjoy the beach, boating in the waterway and rivers, golf, go-carts, paintball, arts and crafts, music, parks, live shows, amusements…you name it, you can do it. Of course, you may just want to hang out at home but anytime you want to do something, you have plenty of options.
- Retirement: Many people have decided to make the area their home for retirement. There are plenty of facilities that cater to retirees. Because of its popularity, there are communities and activities everywhere for the retiree who wants to stay active.
When choosing a place to relocate, you always have to take the pros and cons into consideration. Overall, I think owning property in Myrtle Beach and making it your home has many advantages.
If you would like to learn more about the Myrtle Beach area, please reach out. Check out our "Homeowner Support Articles", too.
And if you're still undecided, make sure you check out the properties for sale in Myrtle Beach. Who knows, you may find that perfect home at the price you want.
Homes for Sale in North Myrtle Beach
Condos for Sale in Barefoot Resort
Homes for Sale by Del Webb Myrtle Beach (and North Myrtle Beach soon!)
Let us know if we can help you relocate…
Written by Greg Harrelson
Century 21 The Harrelson Group
Wow, what an opportunity! Currently the ONLY available finished home in all of Grande Dunes, with a direct Intracoastal waterway view. This immaculate property, all on ...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Jason Green Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Listing Office: GRANDE DUNES PROPERTIES , Jason Green Team.
Be the proud owner of the largest Dunwoody model in this 55+ Del Webb Grande Dunes community, sitting on the most desirable prime lot, on the largest pond with a beautifu...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Peggy Davis () from Listing Office: Realty ONE Group Dockside , Peggy Davis.
The very popilar and spacious Crepe Myrtle floor plan offeriing 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, formal dining room, eat in kitchen, laundry room, vaulted ceilings, tray cei...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Boyd Team () from Listing Office: BRG Real Estate , Boyd Team.
Welcome to your dream home in the highly sought-after gated community of Brighton Lakes, located in the heart of Carolina Forest! This stunning 4-bedroom, 2.5-bathroom ho...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Damien Matt Gangwer () from Listing Office: Living South Realty , Damien Matt Gangwer.
Welcome to your new luxurious lifestyle! This stunning home, located in the exclusive Castillo Del Mar neighborhood of Grande Dunes, is just steps away from the sandy bea...
Listing courtesy of Listing Agent: Kristi Grigg (Main Line: 843-449-2121) from Listing Office: CENTURY 21 Boling & Associates , Kristi Grigg.
Provided courtesy of The Coastal Carolinas Association of REALTORS®. Information Deemed Reliable but Not Guaranteed. Copyright 2023 of the Coastal Carolinas Association of REALTORS® MLS. All rights reserved. Information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use, that it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.